30 March 2010

The Phrase

I don't really remember the first time i heard it. But it's been part of my life for years. Who knew that three simple words will change the way you thought and saw the world.

I remember very distinctly one instance where i first heard it. I was doing an internship at my church, The Healing Place. Our church had just gone through a remodel and had tons of bricks left over. My friend Stephen and I were tasked with the job of sitting outside, in the wonderful blistering hot July heat, breaking these bricks.

While out doing this Pastor Bagnetto drives up and rolls down his window and says to us the three magical words... "Welcome to Ministry"

It's an interesting phrase. I think a lot of folks don't really understand that ministry really does go beyond the pulpit. Ministry sometimes involves taking care of the day to day stuff. Like mowing the church yard or cleaning up the messes others leave behind.

So next time you find yourself having to throw away the trash that someone else left in the foyer of the church or you end up putting the sanctuary back together after a youth event; take a moment and say to yourself... "Welcome to Ministry"

No comments:

Post a Comment